Jan 14, 2011

Granola Bar Recipe

Okay, I mentioned to a few friends that I was thinking about posting my "top secret" granola bar recipe and they were very excited. I have tried LOTS of granola bar recipes and finally came up with this one. I just ask that if you share it please link back to this page. Thanks and enjoy!!

2c. old fashioned oats
3/4c. wheat germ & wheat fiber flakes (combined)
3/4c. raw sun flower seeds
1c. crushed peanuts (I use the food processor)
Mix and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 until toasted, about 15 mins, stirring every 5 mins.


While that is toasting combine:
2/3c. brown sugar
1/2c. honey
2 tsp. vanilla
4 T. butter
in a sauce pan and heat until just boiling.


Put everything into a large bowl and mix together; add
1/2 tsp. salt
Optional
1c. dried fruit (I like cranberries)
1c. chopped nuts (I use pecans or almonds)

Press firmly into a 9x13 baking dish lined with parchment paper * do NOT use wax paper it will stick!!
Sprinkle top with a few mini chocolate chips and cut into bars before cooled.


You can mix things up and combine flavors you like. Dried blue berries go great with almonds. Also if you don't have fiber flakes just use wheat germ. I also like to add a handful of flax seeds in the oat mixture.

2 comments:

tracy said...

This looks as good as your pumpkin bread. You have me craving it :)

Cody said...

This might be something Maddy would eat, very good source of protein, fiber and whole grains!! I usually throw in a scoop of flax seeds too- VERY YUMMY!!!